|Product||PEOPLE'S CAR PROJECT|
|Entrant||PROXIMITY CHINA Beijing, CHINA|
|Type of Entry||Corporate or Brand Itendity |
|Category||Corporate Identity Schemes|
|Product/Service||PEOPLE'S CAR PROJECT |
|Entrant Company:||PROXIMITY CHINA Beijing, CHINA|
|Design/Advertising Agency:||PROXIMITY CHINA Beijing, CHINA|
||Goodstein & Partners / Proximity China
|Daryl Villanueva/Felipe Ferreira
To deliver the People’s Car Project we needed an iconic device that would be instantly recognizable, both as a Volkswagen initiative and in it’s own right. The device needed to deliver the following values:
Engaging – Something people want to touch and to change.
Playful – Fun, loaded with personality, but not childish.
Branded – Proudly powered by Volkswagen
Iconic – Celebrating the heritage of the beetle as the original people’s car.
Unique – A design people could personalize, customize and make their own.
Describe the brief from the client:
Volkswagen has always built cars for the people. Their brand name in both German and Chinese literally means the ‘People’s Car’.
Today in China, Volkswagen faces increased competition and falling market share. To counter these challenges they decided to change not only their advertising but also their products. Instead of building cars for the people, Volkswagen would start building cars with the people.
We called it: ‘The People’s Car Project.’ – a long term social CRM and co-creation program to generate consumer dialog and re-invent how cars are ideated, designed and built.
Description of how you arrived at the final design:
We created the ‘Flubber Car’ - a unique 3D visual that morphs according to the ideas of consumers and activated it uniquely across multiple channels:
• Web Films arrested people’s attention by introducing Flubber car personalities.
• Stunts made the virtual real by bringing life-size Flubber cars into local neighborhoods.
• Events put Flubber cars into people’s hands via augmented reality, interactive kiosks and physical models.
• Online Platform enabled people to design and customize Flubber cars with their own ideas.
• TV, OOH, Print brought the Flubber car to the masses and sparking broad awareness.
• Mobile Apps enabled Flubber cars to travel anywhere.
Indication of how successful the outcome was in the market:
We launched on May 19, 2011 and achieved the following results in only 10 weeks:
Innovation & Brand Metrics I*
• Increased Brand Innovation by 18%.
• Increased Brand Advocacy by 22%.
• Highest Share of Voice Of Any Auto Brand in Social Media.
• PR coverage of 789 clippings valued at 8,017,317 USD.
• Weibo - 263,040 Followers.
• Viral Films – 3,258,979 Views.
• Web Videos – 3,458,133 Views.
• SNS (Combined with VW) – 2,944,360 Fans.
• Guerrilla Stunts – 7,462,752 Weibo Views.
• Online Advertising – 19,622,710 Clicks.